February's Inspirational Quote

"One Hour at a Time"
~ Laurie Wallmark.

Dear Laurie,
You might not recall saying this and perhaps I won't remember the specifics but you are our inspiration for the rest of February and maybe even March.

You and I were on the phone and talking about how hard it is to write a novel and as usual I was whining and feeling sorry for my long-a$$ journey. And you told me about how you were working and how busy you were so you wrote your novel one hour at a time. Astounded I said, "You wrote your novel one hour at a time?" And you said, "Yup." And I thought, "Wow... ... ..."

Often times we think we need - or I think I need - huge chunks of time set aside so I can write. Do you do that too? What if we gave ourselves one hour of each day? If it turns into two, well then fine, but if not, at least you still had your One Hour at a Time. So that is the motto of the month, thanks to ours truly, Laurie Wallmark.

We love you, Laurie!

Friday, June 27, 2008

October 2008 Mentoring Workshops

We have two mentoring workshops scheduled for this October. Both of these workshops include a professional critique and one-on-one time with an editor/agent.

The annual two day workshop in Tom's River is on October 4/5 with Tamra Tuller from Philomel and Nadia Cornier from Firebrand. Sign up early, as attendance is limited to 14 people.
http://www.newjerseyscbwi.com/mentor2day.shtml

Our first one day workshop of the season is on Sunday, October 26. So far, we've lined up Erin Molta, a senior editor from Scholastic. There will be three other editors/agents. Again, sign up early, as attendance is limited to 28 people.
http://www.newjerseyscbwi.com/mentor.shtml

Laurie

4 comments:

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Oooo Laurie, is there anyway Ted Malawer will come back for one of these dates? He is also from Firebrand...

Laurie Wallmark said...

I forgot to mention the first page session on September 17th.
http://www.newjerseyscbwi.com/firstpages.shtml

And yes, Sheri, I'm sure we'll have Ted back again. He likes the events given by our SCBWI chapter.

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

I would love to have a sit down with him, but I need to be ready!

Leeza Hernandez Illustrator said...

Yes Sheri, get back to that keyboard - c'mon, chop, chop and be ready!

laurie — thanks for posting the info. I'd like to maybe sign up for the one-day workshop, but would need to know the other editors to make sure my work would be appropriate and vice versa...

I'll keep a watch out ....