Hope you all had a great holiday and maybe even caught up on some needed and well deserved R&R. Of course, you know with a new year comes resolutions. But I am not speaking about resolutions to lose weight or exercise more… Those are important goals too. After all, your health IS important. But I am speaking about my favorite kind of resolutions - Writer's Resolutions of course!
Whether it be to sell a magazine article, finish three dummies in the year, or polish your manuscript, setting goals is the first step to obtaining them. Without setting a goal in writing, it is too easy to forget or forgo. Something magical happens when you put something in writing. We all know this - after all, we're all writers! But when you put something in writing, you automatically become accountable. Don't know where to start? Start small and obtainable.
Feel free to borrow any of these goals if you can't come up with your own…
- Make a space that is just for you and your writing. A place where you and only you go to write.
- Decide on an amount of time you will try to write each day or each week. For example…. I will write two hours five days a week, rain or shine. Or… I will write ten hours a week.
- Some novelists like to work with word count instead of time. So maybe your goal could be… This year I will strive to write 5,000 a week. (Believe me, that goes fast! Take it from a past NaNoWriMo contestant!)
- Maybe you've had a novel (harrumph!) you've been working on for quite sometime so your goal is to (once and for all, for crying out loud, G-d willing) finish the (darn!) thing.
- Maybe it's to read more books in your sub-genre… This year I will read 20 books in my field.
- Maybe it's to test your book to a live audience… This year I will reach out to schools or libraries to see if I can read my books to a classroom and test it out on a live audience.
- Or here's my favorite… I will treat my writing like a business and be present each day, ready to work as if my livelihood depends on it.
Whatever your dreams are, turn them into goals. And then watch your goals become reality!
February 15th is going to be a fun day. Don't forget to RSVP by Jan 15. This event will be catered and we will play lots of games and get to know all our new members. Plus, there will be door prizes! If you have not RSVP'd, do it today!
Sheri Happy Writing!