February's Inspirational Quote

"One Hour at a Time"
~ Laurie Wallmark.

Dear Laurie,
You might not recall saying this and perhaps I won't remember the specifics but you are our inspiration for the rest of February and maybe even March.

You and I were on the phone and talking about how hard it is to write a novel and as usual I was whining and feeling sorry for my long-a$$ journey. And you told me about how you were working and how busy you were so you wrote your novel one hour at a time. Astounded I said, "You wrote your novel one hour at a time?" And you said, "Yup." And I thought, "Wow... ... ..."

Often times we think we need - or I think I need - huge chunks of time set aside so I can write. Do you do that too? What if we gave ourselves one hour of each day? If it turns into two, well then fine, but if not, at least you still had your One Hour at a Time. So that is the motto of the month, thanks to ours truly, Laurie Wallmark.

We love you, Laurie!

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Inspiration Yields Results!

Joining the Hunterdon County Children's Writing Group has been paying off for its members. The critique groups have helped us start and/or keep writing, learn how to do it increasingly well, and find out more about the children's book writing field and how to negotiate it. And many of us have found more than fellow writers, we've found friends.

The whole process has also been inspirational in another way to one of our group members, Diana Patton. Diana has been digesting everything she's learned as fast as she can, and has written a special page on her web site that provides insight into her own working process and summarizes some of the most salient points writers in the children's book field need to know.

Check out Diana's web page and expand your knowledge!

1 comment:

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Thanks for that Jeanne. And bravo Diana! Great article on your website. You should all read it! Follow the link Jeanne provided to read Diana's great tips!