February's Inspirational Quote

"One Hour at a Time"
~ Laurie Wallmark.

Dear Laurie,
You might not recall saying this and perhaps I won't remember the specifics but you are our inspiration for the rest of February and maybe even March.

You and I were on the phone and talking about how hard it is to write a novel and as usual I was whining and feeling sorry for my long-a$$ journey. And you told me about how you were working and how busy you were so you wrote your novel one hour at a time. Astounded I said, "You wrote your novel one hour at a time?" And you said, "Yup." And I thought, "Wow... ... ..."

Often times we think we need - or I think I need - huge chunks of time set aside so I can write. Do you do that too? What if we gave ourselves one hour of each day? If it turns into two, well then fine, but if not, at least you still had your One Hour at a Time. So that is the motto of the month, thanks to ours truly, Laurie Wallmark.

We love you, Laurie!

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Something to Think About ...

Do your stories have a charm and freshness that will stand up to repeated readings? Or could they be written better? Did you use the words of a skilled writer or a less-skilled writer. Check out Volume III: Figures of Speech (from the "How to Write a Children's Picture Book" series by Eve Heidi Bine-Stock) for keen insight into this area.

2 comments:

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Pat, do you think this book is also useful for our novelists of HCCWG?

Patricia said...

Sheri, I would have to say that this book would not be useful for novelists. It focuses on picture books, their simplistic sentences, and the need to enhance them with figures of speech. Still ... you never know what a clever novelist can pick up from its wisdom.